A History of the UWL Campus Building System – The Racquet Press

The University of Wisconsin — La Crosse was founded in 1909. Since then it has become the 2sd best public university in Wisconsin. Here’s a look at the historic buildings that help make UWL what it is.

The archeology center and laboratories were built in 1940, originally as a campus heating plant, and renovated to its current state in 1999. It contains educational exhibits of artifacts and descriptions of regional cultures over the past 10,000 years. There are also exhibits on the archaeologist’s techniques used to retrieve these artifacts. The exhibitions are open to the public.

The Cartwright Center was built in 1959 with additions in 1965 and 1985. The Cartwright Center was the student union on campus until January 2017 when the new student union was opened. The building currently serves as offices for several science and health faculties and as a practice and training space for the wrestling team. The gymnastics team also uses the Cartwright Center for training and training. Its most recent function is to serve as a COVID-19 testing and vaccination site for students and the community.

Centennial Hall was constructed in 2011. The building is at the center of the campus and contains 46 classrooms, two auditoriums, and various academic and student counseling departments. A large open entrance into the building opens onto the Hall of Nations. The Hall of Nations is a meeting room that contains flags from 44 countries, representing the diversity of international students at UWL.

The Cowley Hall of Science was built in 1965 and expanded in 1970. In addition to classrooms and laboratories, it includes offices, research facilities, a greenhouse, planetarium and computer labs.

Graff Main Hall, built in 1909, is the original campus building. It was designated a historic site by the town of La Crosse in 1984 and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Graff Main Hall contains classrooms, the 617-seat Hesprich Auditorium, and administrative and university offices.

The Health Science Center, which was built in 2000, is a project of the La Crosse Medical Health Science Consortium, Inc. The University of Wisconsin-La Crosse and Western Technical College programs share classrooms, laboratories and equipment. The facility also has research laboratories managed by Gundersen Health System.

Mitchell Hall, built in 1965 and expanded in 1972, is a large educational, research and service center that houses several administrative, faculty and staff offices. Facilities include a swimming pool, climbing wall, 200-meter track, basketball courts, wrestling hall, dance studio, racquetball courts, indoor ropes course, fitness center. strength training and conditioning, lockers and showers, and several classrooms with art teaching technology.

Thomas Morris Hall was built in 1939 as the Teachers College Training School and added in 1966. Morris Hall is listed on the National Register of Historic Places and is home to classrooms and university offices.

The Prairie Springs Science Center was constructed in 2018. The building is the first of two phases that will eventually replace Cowley Hall as the main campus building for science education and research. Phase I includes 36 teaching laboratories and 22 research laboratories. These laboratories serve many departments, including biology, chemistry and biochemistry, geography and earth sciences, microbiology, physics, and exercise and sports sciences. Notable labs include the River Studies Center, Radiation Center, and Anatomy & Physiology Suite.

The Florence Wing Technology Center was built in 1956 as the Florence Wing Library. It was transformed into Wing Technology Center in 2001.

Wittich Hall, originally known as the Physical Education Building, was the second building to be built on campus. It was considered one of the best buildings in the country for physical education when it was first built, it remained a facility for athletics, physical education and recreation until its recent renovation. Its suspended running track, gymnasiums and general architectural fabric have remained intact. These features have now been renovated into the new structure. The $ 25 million renovations were completed last summer and reopened for classes this fall semester.

Plans to renovate the university in 2022 include finishing the new football pitch and support complex, which began last summer, renovating the White Hall and replacing the elevator at Roger Harring Stadium. Several other projects are underway, but the dates are yet to be determined.

Source link

About Michael Mason

Check Also

Exercise Can Help People Reach Their Goals in the New Year News

CLEARFIELD – Clearfield YMCA CEO Don Herres gave some tips for people trying to keep …