Campus Recreation’s mission at Eastern Kentucky University (EKU) is to enhance campus and community life by providing excellent services, programs, and education that promote holistic wellness. Campus Recreation Motto: Deliberately Inspire Col. Excellence.
- Development: Create opportunities that encourage personal and professional growth.
- Inclusion: Provide an equal opportunity and experience that invites all dimensions of diversity and can be tailored to accommodate all levels of ability.
- Collaboration: To have a positive impact on our community through teamwork and the support of our partners to achieve a common goal.
- Excellency: Set an example for exemplary service, programs and educational experiences.
DESCRIPTION OF THE INSTALLATION
The Student Recreation Center opened in January 2020 and houses the campus recreation department. Spanning approximately 130,000 square feet in the heart of EKU’s Beautiful Campus, the Student Recreation Center not only serves faculty, staff and students, but also the surrounding communities through membership opportunities and programs :
- Approximately 130,000 square feet.
- Three hardwood basketball courts.
- Multi-activity ground.
- Three racquetball courts.
- Cardio, strength and functional training equipment.
- Largest indoor rock climbing facility at an institution in the state of Kentucky, which features a 38-foot rock climbing wall and bouldering section.
- An aquatic center includes a zero-access recreation area, vortex pool, spa, four 25-meter lanes, basketball goal, volleyball net, and outdoor patio.
- An esports lounge features 24 Alienware competitive gaming computers, a Full Swing golf simulator, game consoles and retro arcade games.
- Three collective fitness studios.
- Multipurpose meeting room with functional kitchen appliances and projection screen.
- A 1/10 mile three-lane indoor track.
- Complete changing rooms with sauna.
- Hydromassage beds.
- NuHealth LifeStyle store.
- Each semester, eight to ten outdoor excursions are offered, including rock climbing in the Red River Gorge, canoeing the Kentucky River, skiing and snowboarding at Perfect North, and hiking in the Smokies. Inclusive trips, such as ASL hikes, are also organized.
- The climbing center regularly hosts unique events throughout the year, in partnership with other campus partners. Events include a Women’s Climbing Party, Silent Climbing, Climbing with Pride and a Veterans Climbing Party.
- The challenge course consists of a low ropes course, an air team course and a tango tower. It is a state-of-the-art facility that allows groups to work together through experiential education. The different elements encourage effective communication, trust, interpersonal skills and teamwork.
- The outdoor rental center offers equipment and materials adapted to each season. Individuals can rent bikes, tents, kayaks, canoes, camping gear and more.
- Swimming lessons, group and individual, are offered for all ages.
- Specialized group fitness classes are held in the Aquatic Center, including aqua aerobics and hydrofit.
- Over the past year, special events that have taken place have included dive movies, canoe battleship, winter party and birthday parties.
- Currently, Campus Recreation has 13 registered club sports, including archery, bass fishing, rock climbing, and esports. A new club sport, swimming, was recently added.
- Each club sport is self-governing and operates with funding from team fundraising and support from the Student Government Association.
- Last year, EKU partnered with Special Olympics Kentucky to host the first-ever virtual Rocket League tournament.
- In addition to Rocket League, our competitive esports teams compete against other universities nationwide in games such as League of Legends, Valorant and more.
- Various esports are also included in our intramural sports schedule, such as FIFA, Madden, and NBA2K.
- Every member is entitled to a free two-hour fitness assessment with one of our personal trainers. The assessment includes goal planning, information about our training programs and a training simulation.
- Group fitness classes are available for each member. Led by student instructors, class formats include yoga, cycling, TRX, dance and more. Each class offers accommodation for every level of experience.
- Personal training packages are available to any member for purchase. Packages vary by session and are a great way to start achieving any fitness goal. A flexible schedule is offered depending on the client’s availability.
- The health promotion field focuses on creating a campus environment that values and exemplifies health across the eight dimensions of well-being.
- Educational programs include activities that focus on healthy relationships, stress management, alcohol awareness and sexual health.
- Smoothie Hour and Tasty Tuesday are two popular events hosted by peer educators that provide healthy and nutritious snacks to customers.
- Intramural sports provide a variety of fun and unique opportunities for participants through leagues, tournaments and special events.
- Popular sports include flag football, basketball, volleyball, indoor football, and softball.
- Over the past year, the program has hosted unique events, such as the October Ironman Challenge, Big Pink Volleyball Tournament, Fall Powerlifting Competition, and Cooking Competition.
- Various divisions are provided for each sport or event, including men’s, women’s, fraternity, sorority and community recreation.
- The area of youth programs strives to provide children with opportunities to develop transferable skills – such as communication, teamwork, enumeration, and critical thinking – through leisure exploration.
- Colonels Camp – Campus Recreation’s week-long summer camp sessions – provide young people with an interactive experience not only with the Student Recreation Center, but also with the EKU campus. For children in kindergarten through sixth grade, activities include swimming, climbing, field trips, educational sessions, crafts and more.
- Individuals can celebrate their birthday with Campus Recreation at the Student Recreation Center through our various birthday packages. We currently offer a short, wall and pool package, which includes access to our party room.
- Rec the Ravine – Campus Recreation’s flagship event takes over the ravine on campus during the first week of classes to showcase the department and each individual program area.
- Homecoming 5K – To celebrate Homecoming, Campus Recreation is hosting a 5K for the campus community, which includes a class through Campus Beautiful.
- OctSoberFest — Canada’s largest health promotion event helps raise awareness of alcohol education through a variety of activities and programs.
- Zips & Zombies – Campus Recreation turns the challenge course into a spooky night that features a haunted trail, zipline, inflatables, movie, crafts and more.
- The Fitness and Wellness Center, the former Recreation Campus facility, can be fully integrated into the student recreation center’s three basketball courts.
Want to stay up to date on campus recreation at Eastern Kentucky University: